Memorial Orthodox Presbyterian Church 5/30/2010
I. Individual/Personal Eschatology
A. The Nature of Death
B. The Intermediate State
1. That there is one for those who die before Christ returns.
2. For unbelievers at death
a. A state of provisional torment for their souls.
b. A state of imprisonment for their bodies awaiting the resurrection unto the lake of fire.
3. For believers at death
a. A state of provisional glory for their souls.
b. A state of "sleep" for their bodies as they await the resurrection unto glory.
C. Contemporary Issues Surrounding Death for Believers
1. Burial and Cremation
2. Death and dying - suicide, euthanasia, palliative care, advanced directives, etc.
II. General/Cosmic Eschatology
A. Christ's Return and the Last Day
B. Christ's Return in Relation to the 1,000 Years of Revelation 20
1. Historic Pre-millennialism - support for and biblical critique of
2. Dispensational Pre-Millennialism - support for and biblical critique of
3. The Structure of Revelation
4. Revelation 20 Understood within the Context of Revelation and the Rest of the NT
5. Christ's Return Will be after the 1,000 Years
6. The Binding of Satan for 1,000 Years
7. The Reigning of the Saints for 1,000 Years
8. Historic Post-millennialism - support for and biblical critique of
9. A-millennialism - support for and setting forth as the most consistent biblical position
C. The Accompanying Events of Christ's Return
1. The great tribulation (Satan's little season, the man of sin)
2. Christ's return/descent from heaven to the earth
a. With all the holy angels
b. With the souls of the departed saints following
c. Accompanied by great cosmic disturbances and upheaval
d. The great shout & the last trumpet
3. The general resurrection of the dead - both the just and unjust
a. The bodies of the righteous dead are raised/glorified and reunited with their souls as they descend with Christ.
b. The bodies/souls of the righteous living are translated/glorified and "caught up" to be with the Lord in the air as He descends.
c. The bodies of the unjust dead are raised unto dishonor and reunited with their souls to stand on earth and behold Christ descending.
d. The bodies/souls of the unjust living are transformed unto dishonor as they stand on earth and behold Christ descending.
4. The General Judgment: The Righteous Judged (Matthew 25:31-46, 2 Corinthians 5:10)
5. The General Judgment: The Unrighteous Judged
a. The believer assisting in the judging of the unrighteous (1 Cor. 6:1-3)
b. The fallen angels judged & sentenced to everlasting miseries (Jude 6, Rev. 20:10)
c. The unbeliever judged (Matthew 25:31-33, 41-46; Rev. 20:11-15)
6. The Final State and Abode of the Unrighteous - the Lake of Fire
a. A punishment of loss - a dreadful separation from all that is good
b. A punishment of pain - an unspeakable suffering of all that is bad
c. Hell is Eternal: Biblical Teaching on the Duration of Punishment for the Wicked
The Final Abode and State of the Righteous
I. The Abode of the Righteous:
The destruction/purification/regeneration/re-birth of the heavens and earth
Isaiah 65:17-19 (cf. 66:22)
Psalm 46 & 48
Hebrews 11:10, 16, 12:22, 13:14
Beyond Mere Restoration
II. The Offering up of Christ's Finished Mediatorial Work to the Father
1 Corinthians 15:20-28
III.The State of the Righteous - Glorious!
IV. The Employments of the Righteous - Noble Service!